Food safety is paramount to our business practices. It is a total supply chain responsibility with strict requirements, guidelines and standards for our industry partners. Food safety touches all components and ingredients in all products sold.
We know and understand the concerns of customers. Our commitment to providing consumers with high quality, safe food extends to holding processors, handlers and shippers to those rigorous requirements. From traceability and documentation to cold chain and clear communication, our dedication to food safety runs deep.
We maintain established, trusted relationships with major growers and shippers, and as one of the largest and most respected wholesale fruit and vegetable distributors in California, General Produce has proven access to critical supply — delivering consistent quality and service to you.
We set and maintain high standards which continue to evolve with improved industry guidelines, procedures and protocols. General Produce values these established, stringent food safety policies with a company culture that elevates food safety to top priority.
- Source products from only proven and trusted suppliers
- “Approved Vendor” Selection & Screening process
- Product Specifications Guidelines Catalog (On-site reference)
- Require 3rd Party Audits & Certificates of insurance for all Pre-cut, Value-added Processor suppliers
- On-site USDA-certified Quality Assurance & Inspection Team
- Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) Training for employees
- Professionally trained and experienced Operations & Procurement teams with 300+ years of cumulative produce expertise
- Outside industry expert consultants engaged as needed (i.e., education, protocols, calls to action)
- Computer monitored refrigerated warehouse and loading dock
- Closed, security-monitored facility
- Refrigerated/Temperature monitored Delivery Fleet
- Master sanitation schedule for facility and fleet
- Weekly monitored pest control program
- Third party food safety inspections/audits with outstanding ratings
- Third party, random, unannounced on-site product inspections
- Targeted state of California inspections for produce standards verifications as needed
- Oregon Tilth Organic Food Handler certification
- Written and utilized Product Recall standard operating procedures
- Written and utilized “Mock Product Recall” procedures
- Real-time urgent internal and external notification system for all USDA and industry recall and recall recommendations (i.e., emails, letters, website posts, invoicing, calls)
- Documented industry recall & notification list